God’s in Love with This World

Posted in: Homilies
Tags:

May 26, 2019   Click on the left end of the black bar to play/pause

May 26, 2019
John 14:23-29
Fr. George Smiga

For twenty-eight years I have stood here on almost every weekend to lead us in prayer and to break open God’s Word. Many of you here have heard me preach hundreds of times, and we have spoken about many things. But what shall we speak of today, on this last day we are together? Today we should speak about what is most important. Today we will speak about God, because our faith rests not on our actions but on God’s actions, our freedom depends not on our mercy but on God’s mercy, our hope derives not from our love but from God’s love.

The reason we believe, the reason St. Noel exists as a parish community is to proclaim that God is real and that God is with us. Jesus says this today in the gospel. He says that he and the Father love us and they will come and dwell with us. God dwells with us! That truth is not always obvious. But whenever we can see it and claim it, it changes everything. It allows us to be so much more thankful for our life, our family, our friends. It gives us strength so that we can face loss, sickness, and pain. It gives us hope that, no matter how compromised our lives may be, we carry the promise of joy for all eternity.

So in the most fundamental way it is not about me. It is not about you. It’s not even about us. It is about God dwelling with us. And if over the time I have been your pastor I have been able to help you see that mystery more clearly and claim it more deeply, then I am content.

God is real. God is with us. And since that is the truth, it makes some sense to end like this:

[This song follows:]

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I say to myself God’s in love with this world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I say to myself God’s in love with this world.

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They’re really saying I love you

I hear babies cry, I’ve watched them grow
They’ll learn much more than I’ll never know
And I say to myself God’s in love with this world.

And I say to myself God’s in love with this world.

10 Comments for : God’s in Love with This World
    • JOYCE BUCHANAN
    • May 29, 2019

Thank you Father for all the love you shared with us over the years. You will be missed!

• Michael Mills
    • May 29, 2019

Outstanding!! We are so lucky to have such an wonderful priest that helped us for 28 years Built God’s Kingdom. Thanks Fr.George for everything!!

• Claire and Bill Pattie
    • May 29, 2019

What a memorable and moving last homily at St. Noel Father!! You will be missed, and we are thankful for all you gave to our parish. Enjoy your next life chapter.

1. Reply

Thank you ,Father George for your spiritual and creative Service to our Parish and to our family . May God bless you with His Peace through out your retirement . Your closing thoughts were a touching Reflection of God’s great Love . Thank you .

• Joann Bosak
    • June 1, 2019

Dear St Noel Parishioners,
    While it is understandable that you will miss Fr. George, your pastor for 28 yrs, please be assured you are getting a wonderful replacement. After 28 yrs he became an integral part of your lives. We feel the same way about Father Terry after 2 yrs. Fr. Terry is an outstanding priest and we at St Brendan’s were devastated at his leaving after only 2 yrs. The entire parish was not ready to part with him. Transition is not easy for either parish, however, we wish both priests the all the best in their new assignments.

• anthony camino
      • June 28, 2019

Thanks for your kind words, Joann. While transition is not easy, it does open the door to new ideas and possibilities. We’re excited for the future.

• Gerda Van Dyck
    • June 2, 2019

Thank you, Father George, for being such a clear, consistent emissary for God’s Love. You will be missed and we will continue to love you.

2. We are so happy your last homily at St. Noel is posted as we were away from St. Noel that weekend. From St. Clare to St. Noel, we learned, through you over 44 years or so, that it’s not about me, it’s not about us, and it’s not about you. We did come to learn and understand that it is about God loving and dwelling within us. As you continue on your journey, you can find comfort and contentment in knowing this is true for us and for so many others. We will miss you and we thank you. God grant you peace and blessings on your journey!

• Nancy Brown
    • June 25, 2019

Dear Parish of St. Noel – As stated above, We are sending you a very good priest, that will be missed very much from hear at St Brendan’s. I read and listened to Fr. Smiga’s homily and I was very moved I know he will be very missed. Just like a good book you will be going into a new chapter, but the book will still be good. May God Bless all of us in our changes.

• anthony camino
      • June 28, 2019

Know that your community is in our prayers. May both our new chapters be filled with many blessings!